Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yesterday's adventure...

I wish I could show you this awesome little micro scene I found yesterday as I hiked to my second favorite waterfall in our area. It was so micro that I almost missed it as I strolled down the well-trodden trail, but the bright yellows and greens of the scene caught the corner of my eye. As I crouched down to get a better angle with my camera, I realized just how quaint this little scene truly was.

On top of a bright green-moss covered log and resting against a slate-grey bolder spotted with lichen, I found the tiniest mushroom standing tall and proud next to an aspiring, bright yellow Johnny Jump-up and a fully blooming one. The three of them were just hanging out together waiting for a little forest fairy or mini-gnome to come along for a sip of tea (or what ever forest fairies and gnomes find guilty pleasure in drinking) or to take a short nap underneath the shade of the mushroom's canopy or the coziness of the soft sheet of green moss blanketing the log... It was an amazing find.

The stage of this tiny scene seemed like it came right out of a story book. The colors were so vivid. The light brown mushroom in contrast to the dark grey of the bolder, the washed-out brown of the log, the bright, iridescence of the yellow blooms, and the many shades of green offered by the leaves and moss... The colors all worked together adding even more magic, existing only for those willing to pause to take in the little details or those tiny enough to live inside the scene.

I took tons of pictures, some better than others, all trying to capture some of the magic. But when I tried to download them onto my computer, I messed up. The pictures seem to be gone forever. I guess the scene was only for me...

Or maybe, just maybe, there really was a little forest fairy who was hiding underneath the soft sheet of green moss... And maybe she decided that I shouldn't have the opportunity to announce the whereabouts of her secret afternoon tea spot... And maybe, just maybe, she cast her little fairy wand towards my camera lens and cast a spell forbidding it to share the magic it so intensely tried to capture...

I guess I'll never know.

P.S.

No, I'm not crazy, nor was I partaking in hallucinogenic treats on my hike. Who needs hallucinogens when we have been given perfectly lively imaginations??? :)

4 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

Or it could have been Murphy and his law...he is the one that always takes my most important pictures!

Dan

Mrs. N said...

Good point! :)

Don said...

In the mid-70's I took a trip that included Zion National Park. On a day hike, I saw a micro-environment on a sandstone cliff wall about two miles up the trail. I still remember it: even without a camera. Sounds like you just made a memory, perhaps a lasting one. Beauty rocks! (and sticks. ;-) )

Sherrie said...

I love this! So sweet and childlike. I'm pretty sure there was a tea-sipping fairy there that day. :)