Have I mentioned that I love new years?? Perhaps it's this thing I have about new starts-- I just love 'em-- and taking stock of what worked and what didn't from the year before. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm extremely goal oriented. Regardless of the reason, I'm really excited about this new year, it wouldn't take much to be better than last year (it was a doozey), but already 2009 is proving to be quite fantastic.
The odd thing is that it's not an over-the-top fantastic like I've been used to over the past 5-10 new years... it's actually just sort of a mellow, content fantastic. I guess 2008 helped me to have more gratitude and contentment with what I have and what I'm experiencing at any given moment in time. It has also helped me to realize that it's not all about me or what people think of me; actually, it's more about the collective whole of which I am a part. Let me tell you, these are two extremely liberating realizations! (Despite the fact that they make me feel a little old around the edges!)
So what are my new year's resolutions?
In 2009 I will strive to...
- Take better care of myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually. In other words, I want to strive to be more balanced.
- Have the courage to be myself all of the time, despite relationships, circumstance, or work.
- Play outside more. I really want to get better at snow shoeing, cross country skiing, and fly fishing. I want to hike and camp more and would be game to pick up a few new outdoor hobbies!
- Be more financially responsible and savvy. Granted, I don't blow away a ton of money, but I'm really tired of having to scramble all of the time. I'm hoping I can do better in this department this year!
- Be more active in my community. I've lived in this town for 1.5 years now, and I'm still not involved with a whole lot beyond school. I want to do more and give more to my community; I just need to find the right venue and the right cause.
So this is my resolution in a nutshell... what's yours?