Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Twilight Stroll

Photo by Highlander
Thanks to the folks over at Pictures, Poetry, and Prose... I was inspired to write about my walk at twilight last night...
My new chapter and I had the chance to take our first walk at twilight last night. It was ineffable and fantastic all rolled into one. We live in the northern Rockies, and the mountain ranges we can see from our house stood majestic and snow-caped against the backdrop of a perfect winter sky. Our big sky was all shades of blue, purple, pink, and orange with a few white, scraggly clouds bringing out the white chill of the snow around us. The air was crisp enough to make our eyes water, sharpening our view of the surrounding beauty, but not crisp enough to deter us from our quest. We had just missed the alpen glow, but it didn't really matter; the sky and mountains were still magnificent in those few moments before the sun slipped completely below the horizon.
As we walked down to the hill overlooking town and the three surrounding mountain ranges-- the hill where I've had most of my solo, starry-night walks, we chatted, confided, shared, laughed, hugged, cried a little, and took a few steps deeper into our relationship. We had our first Montana Moment together as we stood silently on top of the hill, hand-in-hand, ready to take on the world as a team, and feeling support from the mountains around us and encouragement from the horizon before us. Standing in that spot at that moment with this person made the current state of affairs feel a lot less bleak.

2 comments:

Don said...

Always nice to read your blog. Even better when things are going your way. ;-)

I did some twilight bbq-ing: my weekly chicken breasts. I went for a walk along a local "crest" trail with my dog in the late afternoon.

Your walk sounded nicer, but I had on shorts and a sweatshirt, and I was overdressed. ;-)

Hmmm... maybe I'll have to have a label called California Moments. Nah. I just call them golden moments. Cause they can happen anywhere!

Sherrie said...

That sounds really beautiful. Okay, I admit it, I'm jealous. :)