Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I can't help but love a holiday that asks us to take a moment to be thankful for what we have. This year has taught me that I have a lot to be thankful for, to the point where it's even hard to talk about. I'd like to take a moment to share the top ten things I'm most thankful for (in no particular order). I'd love to hear what you are thankful for too.


This year I'm thankful for...

Life. The more I experience, the more I realize just how fragile it is. I love life even with its ups and downs. There is no better feeling than to feel alive.

Family. Mine was almost taken away, and as a result I value them even more than ever.

Friends. I would not have made it through this year without them, nor would I have gone on as many adventures.

Teaching. I'm learning that teaching really is just a way of life that not everyone understands. It can be really hard but is more rewarding than anything I've ever done.

Mountains. They aren't just my playground; they are also my thinking place and where I find peace. They make me stronger and help me remember that there are very few things that we can actually control.

Words. If it weren't for being able to read, write, speak, and listen I'd be lost.

Freedom. Sometimes it's easy to forget just how good we have it here in the states. Sure we have our issues, but at least we have the freedom to talk about them, the freedom to believe what we want to believe, and the freedom to choose what works best for us.

Music. It makes me whole.

Community. I've learned there is very little we can accomplish alone.

Getting by. There have been moments this past year that I barely scraped by financially, but I was always able to find a way to make it work.

Boot straps. Not everyone has them, but my parents made sure I did. I would be in pretty sad shape if I didn't have them to pull myself up with when things get tough.


(This is a video of an interview with my family. It goes to show just how much I have to be thankful for.)

5 comments:

Peter said...

Thanks for sharing that story! I have come to believe that no story is complete in and of itself. Stories are a part of a broader fabric of our lives. You do us such a great service by bringing this story into Thanksgiving and into all your readers' lives. And for that I am thankful!

Don said...

"Oh, there's an Iowa kind..."

Every day heroes are the ones who inspire us...

Gaining perspective is often costly, too costly to have many volunteers, but when it signs you up... you're never the same.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Mrs. N said...

Thank you.

Sherrie said...

What a great video, and what an honor to be featured. I just can't imagine the 'three minutes' he mentioned - nature is just unbelievable sometimes.

Were you able to go home for Thanksgiving?

Just today I was doing some financial calculations and thanking God that, even though I don't even make enough to cover all my bills, somehow every month, with planning and praying, it works out. Truly something to be thankful for.

Mrs. Tabor said...

Thanks for sharing that, Em. I am glad that your family is so grounded and that they raised you to have your own bootstraps!